Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/librsvg

Havard Eidnes <he%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

>> Do you mean that if I take a typical earm machine like an RPI3 (1G RAM),
>> and cehck out pkgsrc and do a "make package-install" in something that
>> depends on librsvg, you think that it will build rust, build librsvg,
>> and continue, without any issues?
>
> Yes, modulo whether 1GB physical RAM is sufficient for it to
> finish in finite time.
>
> The limitation which prevented the earmhf7f build to complete and
> which I mentioned in the now-removed link to the message was the
> size of the virtual address space on this platform.  It is in the
> area of 1.8GB (was bumped from 1.5GB, but it's apparently hard or
> impossible to go above 1.8GB), and some of the build processes
> used to exceed that limit.

OK, that's reasonable then.  We are definitely running out of wiggle
room, and I just wanted to make sure we had a public discusison of where
the edges are.

>> I have been under the impression that building rust required
>> unreasoably large (by our standards) amounts of RAM, but I'll
>> be very happy to hear that this has been fixed upstream.
>
> While building rust itself certainly is resource intensive, I
> don't see that as a reason to exclude the package from being able
> to build at all.  It's not as if RPI3 with 1GB RAM is the
> maximum-size host which can run the 32-bit arm port, even if you
> discount qemu.  It's another matter if it can't be built at all
> on a given architecture.

I don't see this as "exclude it from being built", but choosing which
version is used.  It's true that RPI3 with 1G is not the maximum earmv7,
but I think it is the typical/normal example of that architecture.  I
don't actually know anyone with an earmv7 machine with more RAM.

However, using old code that isn't maintained is also bad.  So I think
we're left where this is just barely ok and people people on earmv7 will
be suffering from rusty judgement, and more or less be forced into
binary packages (or running qemu or a big machine (RPI4) themselves).

> In my case, the librsvg package also completes the build on my
> emulated earmv7hf system.  I cannot claim to have tested the
> result or any package which uses that package; assistance on that
> front is gratefully accepted.

Personally, I use RPI3 as headless servers for small tasks, and avoid
anything remotely desktoppy.