Re: cmake radical proposal

Hi,

I am alarmed by messing with CMake and RPATH. But maybe things could be
improved. I just want to raise a voice that I am working on Linux and
it's crucial that the RPATH _I_ hand into pkgsrc is present in built
binaries. This means not just the prefix (/usr/pkg/lib equivalent) but
also toolchain stuff I install beforehand as I do not start out with
the system gcc and replace some core libs.

I am hazy on the details, but I remember battling CMake not to mess up
the library paths. So much that I purged the memory to hide the pain, I
guess. Also, that CMake really likes not to use search paths for
libraries and pass them to the linker, but rather it searches directly
for the library and passes /full/path/to/libname.so around. That may be
why -L does not matter often.

So, anything we do to change that … please let's make sure that the
case of a Linux install with added RPATHDIRS for pkgsrc doesn't break.
I guess I'll have to do some test pkgsrc building in the near future …

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis