Re: Bulk builds do not run on NetBSD 9.2

john%ziaspace.com@localhost writes:

> Hi,
>
>> due to the PKGDB changes bulk builds do not run on a fresh NetBSD 9.2
>> chroot, instead failing with the error:
>>
>> Compatibility pkgdb location exists, but PKG_DBDIR not
>> specified. This may cause unexpected issues. To avoid problems, add
>> PKG_DBDIR=/var/db/pkg to /etc/mk.conf.
>
> I just downloaded a new daily NetBSD 9.2 iso image for amd64
> (11-Aug-2021), did a clean install, then downloaded the latest pkgsrc.
>
> I checked and saw that /var/db/pkg doesn't exist, which is good. Then
> I built something simple from pkgsrc with defaults (no /etc/mk.conf)
> and it works as expected.

Thanks for doing that, and that's good to hear.

> Are you sure your chroots were clean? Or maybe I'm not understanding
> where your /var/db/pkg is coming from...

I think the OP downloaded pkgin from the TNF bulk builds, and then
installed a bunch of things with pkgin.  Speculation without having
checked on my part, but pkgin may encoded PKG_DBDIR from its build
environment and then force that for use by pkg_add, at least when there
is no PKG_DBDIR set on the system.   All of that remains to be actually
checked of course.