Re: Bulk builds do not run on NetBSD 9.2

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 08:04:08AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >>   - packages built on a system configured with /var/db/pkg should not be
> >>     distributed
> >
> > All of the current packages are built on systems configured with
> > /var/db/pkg
>
> I think that leads to people with their db in /usr/pkg/pkgdb using pkgin
> from these builds having split brain pkgdb.
>
> Maybe it's time to just say that the migration period is over and
> /var/db/pkg is no longer supported and that people with those setups
> need to migrate.
>
> (It has turned out that the pkgdb change had far more and far more
> difficult consequences than anticipated, but we are where we are.)

It's easy to say that but you need to communicate with the package
builders directly and make sure this is actually fixed properly,
in pkgsrc and in NetBSD infrastructure.

Otherwise this is just going to create more friction and more
people will be convinced that things working well on NetBSD is
unimportant for pkgsrc.

Right now using the "legacy location" is the easiest way to get
bulk builds to actually run.