Re: lang/gcc10 does not compile with Darwin 20.5.0 + Xcode 11.4

On 6/17/21 11:24 AM, Brook Milligan wrote:

On Jun 17, 2021, at 10:12 AM, Jason Bacon <outpaddling%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

On 5/27/21 5:32 PM, Brook Milligan wrote:
I have two different Macs, one of which compiles gcc10 and one of which does not.  Both are using current pkgsrc.
The successful one is:
MacOS 11.1
Darwin 20.2.0
Xcode 12.4
SDK 11.1
The unsuccessful one is:
MacOS 11.4
Darwin 20.5.0
Xcode 12.5
SDK 11.3
The latter also will not compile gcc8 or gcc9.  Note that I added OSX_SDK_MAP.11.4=11.3 to mk/platform/Darwin.mk because of the version slew.
All of these gcc package fail when the stage 2 and stage 3 files are compared; otherwise the builds seem to progress fine.
I am not seeing any relevant bulk builds to indicate whether this is a known problem.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to make this work.
Thank you very much.
Cheers,
Brook

Have you made any progress on this?  If not, I'll try to have a look ASAP.

Not really.  I was not sure how to proceed.  If you have ideas, please take a look, and thanks for that.

Cheers,
Brook

Here's a possible explanation:

https://github.com/Homebrew/legacy-homebrew/issues/38501

I would hope this is the issue, since the workaround is simple and the problem itself fairly innocuous (problem only with debug info).

Apparently, gcc is built by clang (stage1), then builds itself (stage2) and builds itself again (stage3) as a run test.

If we strip the differing object files and compare again, we might find that they no longer differ. Then adding --with-build-config=bootstrap-debug would work around the problem.