Re: Boost

"Dr. Thomas Orgis" <thomas.orgis%uni-hamburg.de@localhost> writes:

> Am Wed, 19 May 2021 17:41:40 +0000
> schrieb nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost>:

>> > Agreed!
>
> Disagree. At least on the binary package thing. For my use case, pkgsrc
> is there to provide binaries and a build environment for user's own
> software, with some emphasis on the latter. For that, at least the
> default boost version should be present in the usual unversioned
> location (headers) and any libs that in turn rely on boost should use
> this one.

I interpreted nia@'s comment about working binary packages more broadly
as including "if you type make package in some random package that
depends on boost it will work".

> Regarding disappearing packages: Yes, some balance where it is more
> important to have working stuff than the freshest boost. Upcoming boost
> in wip for testing things until a bulk works would be fine. Just …
> I think someone told me the trick, but I forgot … you somehow can
> reroute all
>
> .include ../../devel/boost-libs/buildlink3.mk

> .include ../../wip/boost-libs171/buildlink3.mk

Generally when I have updates in wip, the bl3 file in main is able to be
happy about the wip-installed package and all just works.

> Or would a version switch be feasible so that one can set a mk.conf
> variable for bleeding edge boost for development/testing?

I think we're trying to avoid versioned names for parallel installation.
Going to wip and make replace seems likely sufficient but I have no
objection to more complicated if it is actually necessary.

> It's a dilemma when you want to support a developer for adapting things
> to new boost (or any other lib) while too much stuff is not yet
> adapted. You need to start somewhere. Stable API/ABI would be fun.

Indeed, with a magic wand to cause upstreams that other upstreams depend
on to have stable APIs, life would be much better.   Not just boost, but
rust and ocaml could use a wave.