Re: opensmtpd missing makemap

Mark Carroll <mtbc%ixod.org@localhost> writes:

> Hello. I've tried using opensmtpd from wip with a naive "make install"
> and I'm wondering what the story is with makemap. The binary package
> builds just fine but doesn't include a makemap executable. In poking
> around, I'm kind of lost as to why makemap.c isn't compiled, But, I also
> can't figure out things like how we knew --enable-table-db is a
> configuration option, so it's clear that I'm out of my depth here, at
> least so far. (I figured, can I make it try to build, then discover the
> problem.) I don't see anything relevant in the documentation I've found
> so far, I wonder if I'm missing something that would make all this
> clearer?
>
> It's possible that what I'm missing is more generally about typical
> builds or OpenSMTPD than about pkgsrc's approach to this package so it
> could be that I should be asking elsewhere.

My standard question to people in your situation is always:

  When you build the package from source, not using pkgsrc, and
  following the upstream instructions, what happens?

Basically, if pkgsrc encapsulates the upstream instructions and gets a
similar result (with paths adjusted for pkgsrc norms), pkgsrc is
correct.  If the non-pkgsrc upsteam build is wrong, that's a bug
upstream to be addressed with them, and perhaps mitigated by pkgsrc.

People who engage in packaging are widely know to be pesky to upstreams
by asking that their install instructions be correct.  Part of the
problem is that most people use binary packages so the number actually
reading the instructions is small.