Re: OS_VERSION and NetBSD 10.0

* On 2021-04-23 at 13:17 BST, nia wrote:

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 12:09:13PM +0000, nia wrote:
The release of NetBSD 10.0 will cause problems in pkgsrc due to the
number of packages that attempt to evaluate the major version with
:M on OS_VERSION.

Is there any consensus on how we're going to deal with this yet?

If not, I propose introducing a OS_MAJOR_VERSION variable to the
mk/ infrastructure that only contains the first number.

Disregard suggestion, it's not very well thought through.
It would be better to have a way to compare numerically rather
than based on strings.

As I mentioned on IRC, I think it would be a good idea to have something like this. What I'd like to see is something akin to __NetBSD_Version__ which we can use for numeric comparison of the entire version number.

Obviously this would be OS specific, with different styles used when setting up in bsd.prefs.mk, but certainly shouldn't be too much of an issue as all of the tests will be inside OS-specific sections anyway, we're never going to test it in isolation.