Re: x11/gnome-shell run-time dependency on wip/gdm

On 24.03.21 12:58, nia wrote:

> How do you reproduce the crash? While testing GNOME in perparation
> for the import I was simply running it from xinitrc, like so:
>
> export XCURSOR_PATH=/usr/pkg/share/icons
> exec gnome-session

Remove the wip/gdm package then try starting the GNOME session. An error
screen will show up and the following will be in the logs:

```
(gnome-shell:4066): Gjs-CRITICAL **: 13:26:44.650: JS ERROR: Error: Requiring Gdm, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Gdm' (any version) not found
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/misc/systemActions.js:2:69
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/appDisplay.js:19:23
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/dash.js:7:20
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/overviewControls.js:6:14
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/overview.js:17:26
@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/main.js:27:18
@<main>:1:31
```

We have a circular dependency because GDM also depends on gnome-shell.
Some Linux distros split the library part in a separate package:
https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/libgdm/

Best,
Dan