Re: import wip/unit

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 08:55:07PM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
> In all the patches, I'm missing a remark about the upstream status of
> the patches.  The pkgsrc policy is to have as few patches as possible,
> therefore each patch should be submitted upstream and the issue URL or
> other identifying information should be noted in the comment section of
> the patch.
>
> This is something that is not yet implemented in pkglint since I didn't
> find time to discuss whether this should be an enforced rule or how the
> proper format of the upstream status should look like, so that pkglint
> can interpret it reliable.  It is documented in the pkgsrc guide though:
>
> https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/pkgsrc.html#components.patches.caveats

This is nice but doesn't really reflect the reality of pkgsrc, there
are many packages with a huge chunk of patches with unclear status.

I think going through the ordeal of upstreaming patches is a worthwhile
clause, but there's often valid reasons for avoiding it (upstream projects
not caring or being actively hostile to minority platforms like NetBSD
and illumos for example). I personally got burnt out from upstreaming
in some cases due to stress.

So, it shouldn't be required for new packages.