py-Socks versus py-SocksiPy-branch

Hi!

I ran into an issue installing py-sphinx. It indirectly depends on py-Socks, but that conflicts with py-SocksiPy-branch, which I have installed as a dependency of some other Python package.

Reading the description of py-Socks, it sounds like it provides a drop-in replacement for SocksiPy-branch, which is unmaintained.

Is that true?

If so, why do we have both? Would it be feasible to move all depending packages to Socks? Do we need some kind of shim to make setuptools happy when it looks for SocksiPy-branch?

--
Benny