Re: Preferred (11) JDK and NetBSD

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 15:26, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > Currently mk/java-vm.mk has
> >
> > _PKG_JVMS.9=           adoptopenjdk11-bin openjdk-bin openjdk11
> >
> > Which sets the default JVM to adoptopenjdk11-bin when USE_JAVA2=9
> >
> > This is not an ideal situation for NetBSD, as both adoptopenjdk11-bin
> > and openjdk-bin are Linux binaries. In this case openjdk11 would
> > probably make a better default. Would anyone object to me adjusting
> > this to:
> >
> > +# adoptopenjdk11-bin openjdk-bin do not provide native NetBSD binaries
> > +.if ${OPSYS} == "NetBSD"
> > +_PKG_JVMS.9=           openjdk11 adoptopenjdk11-bin openjdk-bin
> > +.else
> >  _PKG_JVMS.9=           adoptopenjdk11-bin openjdk-bin openjdk11
> > +.endif
>
> If it builds on all places the linux binary works, no objection from me.

At the risk of getting into a discussion of "works" - on
NetBSD-9/amd64 the native openjdk11 does not function correctly in a
number of cases, including listening to network connections, however
the Linux binary under compat tends to fail harder.

> Aguably we should be picking the source ones first everywhere, as this
> is pkgsrc not pkgbin, as someone eloquently and crankily said earlier.
> But java seems to have a binary culture, so maybe not.

I would be inclined to agree, but I'm happy to make the change for
NetBSD now, and others can revisit the !NetBSD case later.

Will make the change in a couple of days unless anyone else has input
in the meantime.

David