Re: OS_VERSION on Linux

nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On NetBSD it should only check the major, at the very least.

I think checking major only is the right approach.

> I'm still not sure if it makes sense because you can run old
> userlands on newer kernels, use packages from older versions if
> you have the right shared libraries, etc.

Yes, but it is not sound to mix packages built for different versions.
So to allow this there needs to be a config to require packages to be
form some different branch, and then to warn about any mismatch, even
the actual system version.  E.g. on a netbsd-9 system with 8 packages,
only 8 packages should be installable without complaint.  I don't think
we should go there.