[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
Re: Bounty for GDM
# An update on things GNOME3/GDM
Thanks again for awarding me the bounty! It's been a great motivator
and I learned a lot working on this.
I thought it would be useful to share some of my notes regarding the
porting effort, as follows.
Basic installation instructions are posted on the mailing list .
Packages imported or updated as part of the bounty that are required for GDM:
- wip/gdm (new)
- wip/gnome-session (new)
- wip/gnome-autoar (new)
- wip/graphene (new)
- wip/mutter (new)
- wip/gnome-shell (new)
Most of them can probably be imported to the stable tree. gjs and
gnome-desktop3 have serious blockers in my opinion.
## Known issues
* Only works on X, no Wayland. Support for Wayland in mutter seems
* There are some graphic glitches and missing icons.
* Log Out from GNOME crashes gdm.
* gjs fails to build and run on MPROTECT systems. gnome-shell depends
on gjs so has the same problem. Might be easy to fix for someone
familiar with PaX and g-ir-scanner. 
* gnome-desktop3 requires uselocale() which is not available on
NetBSD. My patch in wip is a bit dirty, relying on the unsafe
setlocale(). The suggested *printf_l() functions aren't available on
Linux, which makes upstreaming patches challenging.
* ConsoleKit2 is worrying, no updates since 2017. I relied on
OpenBSD's patches for gdm and gnome-shell (huge thanks to them!), given
that GNOME dropped support for ConsoleKit a while ago.
* gdm seems to work fine with the accountsservice-0.6.42 from the
stable. However, the newer 0.6.55 in wip doesn't build on NetBSD.
These could be possible ideas for further bounties, aside from plenty
of other GNOME software not yet packaged.
Main Index |
Thread Index |