Re: rust, rust-bin, bulk builds

On Thu, 04 Jun 2020 12:33:32 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > Isn't this just a matter of pulling up all ld.elf_so changes to -9?
> > Does pkgsrc have to bend over backwards to work around a src bug?
>
> [details in other msg]
>
> I can see your point, but my perception of reality is that we have had a
> lot of pain with rust building over the last few months.  If we can end
> up in a situation where rust simply builds every time somebody tries, in
> all sane configurations, and we believe that this will continue across
> updates, that would be great.

rtld and entropy depletion issues aside, the recurring breakage
has been due to insufficient test coverage of updates before commit.
Switching to a binary distribution to solve that seems like
capitulation to me.

If developers don't have time or hardware to properly test their
changes they should post the diff on #pkgsrc or tech-pkg@ to get
testing on at least one other OS and/or version before landing the
update. That alone will go a long way to improve lang/rust stability.

> I interpret your comment as:
>
>   you don't object to the existence of rust-bin
>
>   on NetBSD-current, you think rust should default to lang/rust.

Correct. The default behaviour of "make" in pkgsrc should be to build
packages from source at all times, unless the user explicitly requested
otherwise with DEPENDS_TARGET, RUST_TYPE or similar.

-Tobias