Re: rust and llvm dependency

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 05:40:28PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> Currently rust depends on llvm >= $someversion.
>
> While this may be true for source pkgs, every llvm update breaks binary
> rust pkgs and makes the painfull bootstrap situation even worse.
>
> Is there any chance to improve this?
>
> Martin

This is controlled by the rust-llvm option, which you can enable to
use rust's internal llvm copy.

I introduced this because I was very tired of waiting for llvm to
build multiple times whenever I wanted to update firefox.

I'll commit a rust-bin package soon that removes the need for it,
at least for my purposes.

Anyway, we should not be packaging unversioned llvm IMO.
It breaks too many things whenever it's updated.