Re: Re-enabling cups option in gtk3

On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 10:09:08AM +0000, maya%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:
> (Gotta reply awkwardly, I don't subscribe to the mailing list...)
>
> On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 11:59:07AM +0200, Leonardo Taccari wrote:
> > I would add a third reason (and I think that was also pointed out last
> > time in <https://mail-index.NetBSD.org/tech-pkg/2018/06/29/msg019921.html>):
> >
> >  - IMO a GUI toolkit should not force the user to install a print server
> >
> > (...and at least last time I had checked it the `cups' option was
> > disabled by default for all packages).
> >
> > Also, why should it be enabled by default? (I think that it provides a
> > more customized print "widget" when printing via, e.g.
> > `gtk3-demo --run=printing' but this and previous discussion did not
> > clearly mention that)
> >
> > I would prefer that it is disabled by default for the 3rd reason.
>
> So, CUPS consists of two parts:
> - The printing server
> - libcups, and I assume GTK3 wants to use libcups to speak to CUPS.
>
> I could attempt to split CUPS into two parts, a very bare bones
> no-server libcups and the server.
> I don't know whether it'll win any minimalism contests, it probably
> would still require as many dependencies.

Another option is to make it a build-only dependency, and dlopen.

I had a bad prior experience with dlopen, because it moves link-time
errors into runtime-if-tested, and unless it's explicitly tested, it
might break.

This also wouldn't win any minimalism contests with pkgsrc, since for
people building packages with 'make install', there's no difference
between a build-time and a run-time dependency.