Re: Proposed fix for long-standing +CONTENTS bug

On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 09:10 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > Rather than using make replace, can you try building binary packages
> > and performing the upgrade with 'pkg_add -DU <pkgs>'?
> >
> > I've never used make replace, and it appears to be performing its own
> > +REQUIRED_BY handling rather than deferring to pkg_install, it's
> > likely that's where this is coming from.
>
> A fair request to investigate, but I remember adding -U to pkg_add
> specifically to support make replace.
>
> make replace does look for depending packages to they can be marked
> unsafe_depends, but that really should be done by pkg_add too.

Yes, the "make replace" example I provided invokes "pkg_add -U" to
install the resultant binary package, so this relates to pkg_install.

In any case, running "pkg_add -DU" directly on the newer versions of the
binary packages still results in the same outcome:

# cat /var/db/pkg/vim-share-8.1.2200/+REQUIRED_BY
vim-gtk2-8.1.2200
# pkg_add -DU vim-share-8.2.0303.tgz vim-gtk2-8.2.0303nb3.tgz
# cat /var/db/pkg/vim-share-8.2.0303/+REQUIRED_BY
vim-gtk2-8.1.2200
vim-gtk2-8.2.0303nb3

Regards,

Dave