Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/emulators/qemu

On 06/03/2020 21:15, maya%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:
I am still drawing a different conclusion.
My first priority is to have packages just do the correct thing when one
runs "./configure; make". It's a real treat when it works that way and I
don't need to spend 30 minutes reading the Makefile and patches to see
what I need to reproduce when building things outside of pkgsrc.

MKYP is extremely esoteric, so there were issues with it. That happens.
I don't think MKNVMM needs to exist. It's a kernel module and a small
library. And if someone added tunables for many things in NetBSD I don't
think it would look pretty.

I'm not suggesting MKNVMM needs to exist.

I am aluding to that working out if a feature exists or not via available headers is the correct thing to do. I used MKYP as an example of things not done right. See early versions of python to python-3.7 where you first improved things (which ironically broke my setup) and then I put a better fix in place.

https://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2019/04/03/msg189958.html
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2019/04/25/msg190741.html

Roy