Re: How useful is the "mbone" category?

Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I have always wondered about the stuff in the "mbone" category in
> pkgsrc. mbone as a whole seems super crufty, and I would be surprised
> if anyone used anything from there at all. Or am I missing something?
>
> If not, I'd propose to delete everything under mbone/.

mbone really means "things that work with IP multicast"; the mbone as a
network is long gone.

I am not comfortable with whole-category deletion proposals.  Our normal
standards are that a package is unmaintained, not useful, and has no
users, more or less.  It seems unlikely that every single package meets
that test.

For grins I am building vat, which I remember using on the mbone (!).

The other question is how much trouble they are causing.  Judging  from
list traffic, I'd say zero.