Re: MacOS issues with devel/glibc2, devel/gobject-introspection, devel/pango

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> * On 2020-02-16 at 14:47 GMT, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> I got an offlist comment that this is a wrappers (pkgsrc) bug, with
>> $ORIGIN being removed when it shouldn't.   So probably if you build w/o
>> pkgsrc it would work.
>>
>> You could also try traditional wrappers vs cwrappers.
>
> Can we please stop spreading FUD.  Removing $ORIGIN is a pkgsrc policy
> and intrinsically tied into the way that we build software and how we
> believe software should be built.

And it is, as far as I can tell completely undocumented, so it is not
surpising that the people not involved in writing this bit of code do
not understand it:

  ORIGIN does not appear in doc/pkgsrc.txt

  ORIGIN does not appear in pkgtools/cwrappers

  ORIGIN does not appear under mk

So perhaps it is removed implicitly by some other rule and if I found
that there would be comments that explained, but they seem not to
mention ORIGIN, and it seems a common enough issue that it seems it
should be mentioned.

> It is not a bug in the wrappers, whether the C versions or otherwise.

Can you explain, then, how pkgsrc should be building things that use
meson, or how we should be patching the meson-using build systems, so
that things actually build?

My limited understanding is that pkgsrc is basically saying meson is
wrong, and leaving things broken.

As an example, building gobject-introspection via pkgsrc-2019Q4 on macOS
10.13 leads to

  dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libgirepository-1.0.1.dylib

and failure.  This seems to be the same issue Brook is talking about.

Are you able to build gobject-introspection on mac?