Re: Letting gtk3 depend on adwaita-icon-theme

> Can you explain a bit further about this?
>
> Are you saying that every program that uses gtk3 will fail without
> adwaita-icon-theme?

Gtk 3 is very heavy on client-side decorations instead of server-side decorations - and unfortunately, that trend only went further, and most apps by now use client-side decorations. In order to render the close, minimize and maximize button, Gtk 3 relies on adwaita-icon-theme. Well, technically, Adwaita is the default Gtk 3 theme (or, even the only one, as Adwaita means "the only one"). So as long as Adwaita is used, as soon as there are client side decorations, adwaita-icon-theme is used. Some apps might not use client side decorations, but client side decorations are the default these days.

> Or is it that gtk3-using programs typically ask to use that theme, and
> don't deal well with it not being there?

That is the case for the gnome-icon-theme* packages.

> What are the consequences of adding these as dependencies?  How big are
> they?  What else do they depend on at runtime?  At build time?

At run time, there are no dependencies. At build time, only gnome-icon-theme-symbolic is problematic, as it requires rsvg to render them to various sizes. Unfortunately, rsvg had the "brilliant" idea to port to Rust and in the process break many, many architectures and OSes, so at least the gnome-icon-theme-symbolic one is extremely problematic (even on amd64, IMHO, as rust for NetBSD only builds single-threaded and takes insanely long). The other ones don't have such problems.

We could, of course, switch back to an older librsvg that is not so insanely bloated. I'm surprised nobody forked the old one yet, to be honest.

> It seems odd and not entirely comfortable to have gtk3 depend on
> anything gnome.  Is it the case that programs that use gtk3 but not
> anything gnome fail without gnome icon theme packages?

I agree on gnome - but Adwaita should is not part of GNOME AFAIK.

> Would it be reasonable to have a gtk3-icon-themes package, that
> gtk3-using packages should depend on if they use these things?  Or would
> that be silly, because 99.9% of them need it?

I think 99.9% is not that far off :).

> (I'm not trying to say your proposal is unwise; I'm merely saying that
> you haven't explained enough for me to understand whether I agree with
> it.)

Hope to have provided more detail :)

--
Jonathan