Re: Broken glib2

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 09:10:57PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 08:42:05PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> > Just to make everyone aware: the next quaterly release will have a seriously
>> > broken glib2 (at least on NetBSD).
>>
>> AFAIUC, the qemu sparc64 emulator is the only affected program. I
>
>  ... that we know about and have an easy reproducer.
>
>> think that "seriously broken glib2" is a bit of an overstatement if
>> that's the case.
>
> Yes, maybe - but we do not know for sure so far.
>
> It is pretty visible as we use it a lot in our test setups - other
> fallout may be hiding better. But of course it could be a qemu bug instead
> of glib2.

From freeze management point of view, while there seems to be a serious
bug, it seems not really understood.  It does not appear to me that a
safe fix is ready to be discussed in the next day or so.

So, my approach is to leave glib as it is for the moment, to consider
glib2 still frozen after the freeze ends, and at the same time hope
someone figures out what to do, perhaps coming up with a patch we can
review, test, commit to master, test more broadly, and then pull up to
the branch.

Does that approach sound reasonable?  Any  other suggestions someone
thinks is better?