Re: $ORIGIN

On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 01:56:59PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 12:49:54PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > What does pkgsrc do to $ORIGIN and why?
>
> It (the wrappers) removes all traces of it from the linker command
> line, so no binaries created by pkgsrc will have a $ORIGIN.
>
> The reasoning is that the meaning of shared libs is not "position indepent"
> with $ORIGIN (exactly as that is what it is about), so it is unclear if
> the same libs will be used in the build directory as in the final installed
> version. Proponents of this behaviour will find more harsh words for the
> misbehaviour with $ORIGIN present ;-)

meson changed to use $ORIGIN for the builddir for reproducible builds so
that the size allocated to store the builddir doesn't change according
to what it is, changing the size of the final binary.

I understand why you wouldn't want $ORIGIN in the final binary, but this
isn't the issue.

I see that cwrappers operate on rules, but where are these rules defined?

Cheers,

Patrick