obsolete R packages

I am planning to update the R packages in the near future.  In the process, I have discovered that several packages are obsolete and apparently are no longer distributed by CRAN; geography/R-GRASS is one example.  We still may have (very) old distfiles, though; for example, the one for GRASS is dated 2009-09-17 on ftp://ftp.pkgsrc.org/pub/pkgsrc/distfiles/R/.  I have not tried, but I doubt these will build.

What is the best strategy for these packages?  Should we keep them?  Keep them only if they build and delete them otherwise?  Delete them unconditionally?

Ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Brook