Re: make install clean dependencies

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:31:10PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:
>
> > $ make bin-install
> >
> > does recursively fetch the binary package if available, compile it from
> > source if not and clean the dir when the dependency is installed.
> >
> > One unfelicity: if run not as privileged user, it first su to try to
> > pkg_add before perhaps finding there is not such package, before
> > dropping root and returning to build.
> >
> > I guess that since the logics is in pkg_add this is where to put a flag
> > so that pkg_add only tries to define the full pathname of the package,
> > and returns empty if it can not find one, so that depending on this, the
> > mk chunk could whether su and call pkg_add with this FQpath or, not su
> > and go on compiling?
>
> Perhaps, or perhaps pkg_add should have a "tell me if this is available"
> which is unprived.

I think that would be the more sensible. If I'm not beaten by someone
else, I will try to make this during some slot of time during August.

> > All in all, I think that the "make bin-install" clean dependencies as it
> > goes should be advertised.
> >
> > And probably it should be the default (cleaning dependencies work
> > directory when installed) when "make install"?
>
> Interesting question.  I wonder who wants what.

Everybody who wants the packages and has limited storage (the only
such unlimited store I know of is /dev/null...).

And particularily, whoever with "small" devices requesting the
compilation of package natively because cross-compilation doesn't work
and there is no available packages for this version of the OS with this
particular machine, and who wants to speed up things by putting the work
dirs under a tmpfs.

For Python itself, one needs 265MB; Samba is 600MB! etc.

Only a developer would want to keep the object if he is testing a
package.

> Certainly we could add a package-install-clean target, and people could
> set DEPENDS_TARGET to that.   There's no particular reason though why
> bin-install and package-install should be different about cleaning.

And IMHO, bin-install default is more logical default than the
package-install one.

Best,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/