Re: Atomics

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 02:51:15AM +0000, John Klos wrote:
> Perhaps we need consistent atomics for all our ports...

...except of course that the fundamental hardware support is not
consistent. There is only so much we can do to emulate atomics,
especially on SMP architectures (SPARC v7) or when trying to use
wider-than-natural operands (double CAS, e.g. 64bit operand on 32bit
platforms). This becomes even worse for code using pre-C11 primitives,
since there is no way to guarantee consistent reads in that for
example.

Joerg