Re: configure finding "nonfunctional" c++ compiler

> On Jun 28, 2019, at 6:47 PM, Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to build some packages in an HPC environment and am regularly running into the error
>
> 	configure: error: C++ compiler missing or inspirational
>
> I think this is because configure finds /usr/bin/c++ (based upon the links in work/.gcc/bin), which is an OS supplied compiler, in this case gcc 4.4.7, not ones installed by the module system, which are the ones expected to be used.  I guess this is because configure checks all the "normal" places, but has no knowledge of the module specific directories.
>
> What can be done so that pkgsrc will work correctly in this situation?

To add a bit more detail, it turns out that the configure fails because the native compiler does not support --std=c++03, which is required by gcc48, which is needed to build anything useful.  Yes, this is ridiculous, but that is a real constraint.

I have tried setting GCCBASE=/opt/gnu/gcc in mk.conf to point to a better compiler, but that seems to make no difference.

Is there a way to get pkgsrc to use a compiler other than the native one in /usr/bin?  I have others installed, but cannot figure out how to make pkgsrc see them.

Thanks for advice.

Cheers,
Brook