unusual R packages

I have been looking at the set of R packages in pkgsrc and have discovered that there are what appear to be needless differences in organization.

For example, a small minority (see the list in the attached file) define DISTNAME and use BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.R directly.  The attached file (from converters/R-base64enc) is one example.

In contrast, most R packages set R_PKGNAME and R_PKGVER, and are otherwise very stylized.  The attached file (adapted for converters/R-base64enc) illustrates the typical style.  I have verified that in this particular case, the second, more typical, version works fine.

Is there a reason not to update the set of these atypical packages (19 of 151 R packages) to follow the typical pattern?  Does anyone know why these packages differ from the norm?

Cheers,
Brook

converters/R-base64enc
databases/R-RSQLite