Re: BLAS in pkgsrc: present and future

On 2019-05-30 08:00, Dr. Thomas Orgis wrote:
Am Thu, 30 May 2019 08:49:53 -0400
schrieb Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>:

I wonder if it would be simpler to have a default value of
PKGSRC_BLAS_PREFERRED, if not set by the user.
OK, so the mk file would use an internal _PKGSRC_BLAS_PREFERRED for
that.

The package uses PKGSRC_BLAS_TYPE for the build.
(same comment about a different variable)
So, would it be the preferred way to use _PKGSRC_BLAS_TYPE in the
package Makefiles? I don't care that much either way, but I want
to make sure that this verbosity is consensus. I don't recall seeing
that many _UNDERSCORE variable names in use.

Is it still fine to have BLAS_LIBS and LAPACK_LIBS defined? Should those
be _PKGSRC_BLAS_LIBS, _BLAS_LIBS?

Alrighty then,

Thomas

To recap/clarify, I would propose:

PKGSRC_BLAS_PREFERRED: User-settable list (usually mk.conf), defaults to netlib

PKGSRC_BLAS_ACCEPTED: List set by package

_PKGSRC_BLAS_TYPE: Internal, automatically determined by matching the above variables following the logic you described earlier, i.e. use the first match from the above lists, or if there is no match, use the first one listed in PKGSRC_BLAS_ACCEPTED.