Re: Using modern gcc from pkgsrc on old systems for c++

* On 2019-04-04 at 18:02 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Do I need to mark the package with USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME?   But
> doesn't every c++ program depend on libstdc++, and doesn't that have to
> be the one that came with the compiler (r ABI compatible with it)?

USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME is a user variable, not a package one.  The
package variable is USE_GCC_RUNTIME but this doesn't appear
applicable here.

> make USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME=yes package: added a dependency on
>   gcc7-libs.  Resulted in all ccache misses.  But still failure to link.

This suggests it is working (adding a dependency on gcc7-libs) but is
still not linking against the correct libstdc++.  You'll need to dig
into why this specifically is happening.

Maybe the paths in the override specs file generated in
gcc7-libs/buildlink3.mk aren't correct for your system or something?