Re: Intent to remove: lang/gcc3

On 31/03/2019 11:47, Benny Siegert wrote:
> It has come to my attention that lang/gcc2 is there too (and has not
> moved an inch since 2015). Thus, my removal proposal is for both of
> them now.

No objection but it's really handy to have in the tree for 1 reason.
If gcc2 is being pulled in during bootstrap or on your first attempt to
build a package, it's a clear indicator something is wrong somewhere.

For supporting legacy systems they would be handy to have around,
however our core components of pkgsrc which get built during bootstrap
and such have moved forward with the times so it's unlikely you'd every
get to build lang/gcc2 or 3 before having to put in some effort to patch
things like libarchive and others to build with your non-c99 compliant
compiler (hello BSDi).

Sevan