Re: freeradius startup crash

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 12:35:26PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 03:36:40AM +0000, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
> > Maybe simpler
>
> With the help of kern/53800 I got the right fix, and it was accepted
> upstream. I will commit this to pkgsrc in a few hours, when I will
> have my keys at hand.

While this fixes the obvious bug, it is not the right fix.

There are two issues:

 - It is very stupid to change the behaviour of an installed pkg when running
   under a debugger, unless (a) you are debugging or (b) some security issue
   requires this [typical case is makeing it harder to reverse engineer
   something - obviously does not apply to open source]. It seems this should
   only be enabled when doing some kind of debug build, but not for pkgsrc
   default builds. It is not clear if this all is intended or some configure
   magic goes wrong.

 - On NetBSD it is very simple to test if you are being traced by doing
   a sysctl KERN_PROC2 and checking p_flag for P_TRACED (Kamil has a
   very simple demo program showing this). Using ptrace for this is
   way too heavy and obscure.

Martin