Missing -lsqlite3 in Apache mod_php7.so

Hello

After upgrading to PHP 7.1.23, I encountered an Apache crash on a
machine triggered by the mere invocation of this PHP snippet:

$db = new SQLite3("nonexistant.db");

PHP documentation states that sqlite is built-in
https://secure.php.net/manual/en/sqlite3.installation.php
But I note that the apache module mod_php7.so I got from
pkgsrc/www/ap-php does not link with -lsqlite3

And indeed, adding this preload to /etc/rc.conf.d/apache works around
the problem:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libsqllite3.so
export LD_PRELOAD

But this is puzzling because I have other machines where the same PHP
snippet works like a charm with the same mod_php7.so and without the
need for preload trick. How is this supposed to work?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz