Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/print/gutenprint-lib

On Thu 23 Aug 2018 at 11:46:10 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> That's fine to have this as workaround, but I am not sure that it's
> right.  I just posted earlier about libtool's behavior of adding
> libraries to the link line when using a library that includes them.
>
> Basically, when linking
>
>   foo: foo.o libbar.la
>
> and
>
>   libbar.la says that libbar has a dependency_lib of libbaz
>
> then libtool does
>
>   cc -o foo foo.o -llibbar -llibbaz
>
> even though foo.o does not need any symbols in baz.
>

> This creates dependencies that ought not to exist.

Isn't this what (in *.pc files) the difference between Libs: and
Libs.private: is for?  For dynamic linking you just need Libs, for
static linking you (also) need Libs.private. But since this is
"relatively new", perhaps not all packages support this / do it right
yet? Or is it even libtool that is doing it wrong?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.