change to ansible wip makes remote management fail

When I try to manage an up-to-date CentOS 7.5 system with Ansible 2.4 from pkgsrc-wip, the first thing Ansible tries to do is gather facts, and I get this:

fatal: [host-under-mgmt]: FAILED! => {
    "changed": false,
    "failed": true,
    "module_stderr": "OpenSSH_7.6 NetBSD_Secure_Shell-20171007, OpenSSL 1.0.2k  26 Jan 2017\r\ndebug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config\r\ndebug1: auto-mux: Trying existing master\r\ndebug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK\r\ndebug2: mux_client_hello_exchange: master version 4\r\ndebug3: mux_client_forwards: request forwardings: 0 local, 0 remote\r\ndebug3: mux_client_request_session: entering\r\ndebug3: mux_client_request_alive: entering\r\ndebug3: mux_client_request_alive: done pid = 26578\r\ndebug3: mux_client_request_session: session request sent\r\ndebug1: mux_client_request_session: master session id: 2\r\ndebug3: mux_client_read_packet: read header failed: Broken pipe\r\ndebug2: Received exit status from master 1\r\nShared connection to host-under-mgmt closed.\r\n",
    "module_stdout": "Traceback (most recent call last):\r\n  File \"/home/my-username/.ansible/tmp/ansible-tmp-some-unique-numbers/setup.py\", line 71, in <module>\r\n    import subprocess32 as subprocess\r\nImportError: No module named subprocess32\r\n",
    "msg": "MODULE FAILURE",
    "rc": 1
}

I've traced the problem to a change made nearly a year ago: https://wip.pkgsrc.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pkgsrc-wip.git;a=commit;h=8ae93a953f23179df48ea11bd51af8c0d4f04de3

This change makes Ansible import subprocess32 rather than subprocess, if it is on a Posix system and running Python 2.x. But it means such hosts must have the subprocess32 Python package installed before they can be managed at all by Ansible.

As far as I've read, Ansible as a project has studiously avoided dependencies on the client side, in excess of Python itself, and I'd like to preserve that property. But I need to know what problem this change solved before I can suggest an alternative.

(I'd also like to update Ansible to 2.6.2, but this is my first contact with pkgsrc-wip, so changes I could offer may not yet be very well informed.)

Disclaimer