Re: R package MASTER_SITES

> On Jul 28, 2018, at 2:37 PM, Roland Illig <roland.illig%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> Am 22.07.2018 um 16:51 schrieb Brook Milligan:
>> It turn out that many (all?) of the R packages have a line like the
>> following in their Makefiles:
>>
>> MASTER_SITES=  ${MASTER_SITE_R_CRAN:=contrib/}
>>
>> This is redundant with the same line in math/R/Makefile.extension,
>> which all R packages should be including anyway.  I would like to
>> remove these extra lines in individual packages in favor of the
>> master version defined in math/R/Makefile.extension.  This will
>> simplify individual R packages and the common single definition will
>> actually be used as intended.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> It sounds great. I implemented this check in pkglint 5.5.15:

So you anticipated this a bit.  Great.

>    pkglint -r --only "redundant because of" /usr/pkgsrc

I just greped for MASTER_SITE_R_CRAN, but this is good to keep them from creeping back in.

I have committed the patch to remove the redundant definitions and added in the CRAN archive directories (referred to directly by one package but often needed for older versions) to Makefile.extension.  The result should be that the R packages are a bit cleaner and can always find their distfiles.  Eventually, I'll add this to R2pkg in hopes that the redundancy is not resurrected.

Please let me know of any fallout.

Cheers,
Brook