Re: removing error from USE_X11 without xorg

coypu%sdf.org@localhost writes:

> Python doesn't use X11. Some python programs might.
> For python GUI packages, python needs to know where to look for X11
> libraries.
>
> I don't care if python GUI packages fail to work on a non-X11 setup. But
> now I have lots of other packages failing until I adjust settings.
>
> Setup with no xorg and no interest in ever installing it.

So generally pkgsrc declares dependencies and requires them.  You're
saying that you don't want something installed, which in the case of X
client-side libs, is quite unusual, admirable in an odd way :-)
But, a vast amount of things assume some degree of X presence, so you
are a bit tilting at windmills (but we all are, choosing NetBSD).

I don't think it's right to drop pkgsrc insisting on X being there when
packages say they need it, to make an edge case work, where it builds
anyway and fails if you do something x-ish at runtime.

What if you do

PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=		-x11

Does that let python build?  And if not, is there some minor bug?

Why isn't that a good solution for you, who are trying to build things
from pkgsrc on a system that does not have X?