Re: gimp vs vlc-3.0.2

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

> realpath is a part of sysutils/coreutils.
>
> It's used in the build machinery of vlc:
>
> bin/Makefile.am:  ./vlc-cache-gen$(EXEEXT) `realpath ../modules` ; \

OK.

What if one could specify a subset of "coreutils"?  Such as only those
that don't shadow the same tool already in "/{,usr/}{,s}bin"?

Since it's just tool dependency, I'm dancing about removing stuff that
will take out "gegl", then build vlc, then remove coreutils and re-install
the other bits.

But, "musepack" conflicts with "libmpcdec" used by "audacious-plugins".
That's what I ran into before.  So, to have 'vlc', I must give up
'audacious'  Admittedly, I rarely use it.

The only other bit is that my locally-built 'hdhomerun_config_gui' seems
to insist on trying to launch 'vlc' if one clicks "View" and crashing
if it is not available.  I've been curious if I could get a 'vlc'
installed on NetBSD to see if it would work.

(Normally, I use the command-line "hdhomerun_config" and pipe the video
stream to 'mplayer'.  This works for amd64, but 'mplayer' is still busted
on netbsd-8 and -current i386.)

All manner of trade-offs...  How do Penguin-OSes seem not to need to
make them?