git-gitk failure on mac

I'm seeing multiple lines like:

  cpio: Git Gui.app: Cannot extract through symlink /opt/pkgsrc/devel/git-gitk/work/.destdir/opt/pkg/share/git-gui/lib/Git Gui.app

which leads to missing destdir entries, a failed PLIST check and no
package.

/opt/pkgsrc is a symlink to someplace else, which doesn't seem all that
strange, and doesn't seem wrong.  (I realize we have other symlink
issues.)

So I wonder if we need to use cpio from pkgsrc on mac.