Re: Cygwin vs WSL [was Windows port?]

On 05/18/18 09:31, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 09:23:23AM -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
Note, however that the WSL has some limitations:
 From my experience, it creates significantly less pain than Cygwin,
performs a lot better and doesn't need the majority of the source hacks
that mingw(64) does.

Joerg
Agreed on the performance issue.  Much of it is due to the fact that it's independent of Microsoft, e.g. fork() is implemented in an added layer outside the Windows kernel.
This really hurts process-heavy tasks like pkgsrc builds.

Cygwin is great for many quick and dirty solutions, though.  I promote it to researchers who just need some connectivity tools like ssh, rsync, and X11 for working on remote Unix systems. All you need to run remote X11 apps under Cygwin is three packages: openssh, xhost, and xinit.