Using Github

I'm wondering if pkgsrc has any standards for some common, non-ideal situations with Github projects, in particular:

1.    Projects that have no releases (See Example 5.13 below, Example 5.13. Using USE_GITHUB When Upstream Does Not Use Versions)

In cases like this I've been using a pksrc version of the form 0.0.0.YYYYMMDD

2.    Using commits between versions (See Example 5.14. Using USE_GITHUB to Access a Commit Between Two Versions)

x.y.z.YYYYMMDD?

3.    Github submodules (See 5.4.3.1. Fetching Multiple Files from GitHub)

Below is the documentation on how FreeBSD ports handles these situations in order to ensure a proper progression of package versions.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-distfiles.html#makefile-master_sites-github-ex2

Thanks,

    Jason