Re: Deciding on wich variant(s) of OpenBLAS library to install

On 03/25/18 16:09, Dr. Thomas Orgis wrote:

2. The ability to override the default for individual dependent packages
Please clarify: Do you mean the packager shall be able to override a
default the user/admin set? Or do you mean that the user/admin shall be
able to specify a per-package BLAS choice different from the default
(be it pkgsrc default or set in local mk.conf)?
I think both the packager and the end user should have the ability to choose.

Many end-users could be scientists who are not particularly computer-savvy and just want an easy way to install their programs.  They may not be aware of bugs or compatibility issues with a particular BLAS implementation, and the package maintainer could save a lot of end-users from struggles by locking a package into a particular implementation that works well
for that package.

I'm not sure this is really an issue anyway.

I'm not sure how we would prevent a packager from selecting a particular BLAS package instead of using the mk facilities provided.  It would seem that we would have to go out of our way and do extra work in order to be Draconian about it.  I think it's better to provide a simple framework to allow for interchangeable BLAS implementations and assume there will be valid reasons not to use
it in some cases.

My priority is to have consistent BLAS by default and override by user
where desired. I know that we have some disagreement regarding
compatibility of BLAS packages for dependent packages … but since the
BLAS-using packages are few, we can check if they work with the default
(serial openblas, I presume) and leave possible troubles to the
conscious user who sets a different default. We are talking abount
scientists who are used to messy situations;-)
I think BLAS-using packages are few at the moment because pkgsrc does not have good BLAS support.  The potential BLAS-dependent packages are many, and once OpenBLAS, et. al. are committed, there will be more motivation to use pkgsrc for deploying BLAS-dependent software.

Take a look at FreeBSD ports, where Netlib, Atlas, and OpenBLAS are all
available.  It's not an ideal solution, and issues do arise, but they're
solvable and it's working well in the end.
And I point at the Debian way, that has all BLAS installed, but
normally only one in use. We should have the best of those worlds.

I might actually be able to start working on this now …
I trust you to implement a reasonable solution.  If we run into any problems, we'll learn from them and make improvements.  Since we're starting with a small number of dependent packages, there's
little reason to fear changes down the road.

At this early stage, I would simply urge some basic design principals: Allow the packager and end-user as much freedom as possible and aim for a framework that's simple and easy to
maintain.

So I vote to get something started, experiment with it, and let it evolve from what we learn.

Cheers,

    JB