Re: Can we make gfortran the default Fortran?

On 27 December 2017 at 16:49, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

>> Possibly related thought - rather than hand curating sets of PKGPATH
>> checks, would something of the form
>> - 'set _BUILDING_COMPILER' when building the compiler
>> - Only set GCC_REQD if _BUILDING_COMPILER is unset
>> work?
>
> I don't think so, because then we get different binaries for a package
> depending on whether it was asked for normally or bootstrapped.  That's
> the central hard point, and it could lead to an entirely different
> pkgsrc instance to build the bootstrap compiler.  That seems like a lot
> of CPU time, but I think it's not that much, and it's fairly clearly
> sound.

Ah, so potentially building a bootstrap compiler and all dependencies
with PREFIX set to something like ${PREFIX}/compiler or
${PREFIXcompiler/${compilername}, or magic packages that install into
a path like that can be installed with standard pkgtools, but for now
anything on that list is always built with the system compiler...

> The straw proposal says to encode essentially as Jason has done, but in
> the package Makefiles, not another place, and to reduce dependencies.
> However, that is a NetBSD-centric approach as the set above is huge,
> compared to what one needs on NetBSD 7, where far more tools from base
> are acceptable.

Would it make sense to encode that list in a .mk file associated with
each compiler, so it can be best managed against each compiler/os

David