valid categories?

Hi,

I am readying a bunch of packages to commit and have a question about the CATEGORY lines.  Some packages have multiple entries for CATEGORY. My understanding is that the first of those is the category directory for the package and any others (if any) are the names of other categories.  Is that correct?

The main question, though, is what are valid names for categories?

Are they limited to actual category directories (i.e., a potentially valid entry would be "CATEGORY=mail www") or is anything valid (i.e., a potentially valid entry would be “CATEGORY=mail some_useful_category_name_that_is_not_a_directory")?

Currently, pkg_lint complains unless all the categories are also directories.  However, not all entries follow that convention.

Please help specify the intended design for this.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Brook