Re: What to do about github (dynamic) downloads

Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-pkg%mumble.net@localhost> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 20:15:06 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost>
>>
>> It appears that github generates these on the fly and has decided to change
>> their method, seemingly arbitrarily, which makes checksums fail.
>>
>> In the case of wip/bitcoin, the untargzipped files match the original
>> repository on which the checksums were calculated, according to mtree, but
>> the size of the file is now off by four bytes. The files from the actual
>> Bitcoin project haven't been touched since November.
>
> If you've confirmed there is no difference in the content, is there a
> problem with just updating the distinfo to reflect the change in the
> tar format at Github?

Yes.  See DIST_SUBDIR in pkgsrc/doc/pkgsrc.txt.   The basic issue is
that people with the old file on disk will have failures with the
newly-committed distinfo.  However, we have a way to deal and it's
happened many times before.

This problem is not unique to github.  Many upstreams find typos in code
after release and think it's ok to change the already-published
distfile, when they should view it as immutable.