Packaging software without DESTDIR support

Hello, pkgsrc Developers!

There's some software for which I'd like to create a pkgsrc package, but
the software does not have DESTDIR support.  Is it still possible to
create a pkgsrc package for software like this, and if so, how?

More details about the software are as follows.  It seems to be a
nontrivial effort to add DESTDIR support to it.  The software builds and
installs to the final location, and unfortunately, it also uses programs
(and shared libraries) it built and installed earlier in its build to
build and install the rest of itself later in the build. :-(  This is
particularly problematic for DESTDIR support because the programs it
just built that it runs later in the build need to be able to find the
shared libraries they're linked against.  (I asked the developers of
the software if they might be open to restructuring the build so that
it builds a bootstrap and then uses the bootstrap to build the final
version so that it doesn't use itself while building itself, but they
were not fans of the idea.)

Thank you!

Lewis