Re: Issues with larger numbers with -j

make isn't really an appropriate build tool for larger machines with
lots of cpu.

best-of-the-breed has been ninja for years. I wish it were in more common
use, as some big projects that support it (chrome) tend to not always use
it, so they are missing dependencies as well.

Anyway, ninja, is really good at representing complex dependency graphs
over a whole project, totally avoiding any kind of "recursive make"
behavior while eschewing extra complexity from some of its competitors.

Ninja *is* a next gen build system. Started from scratch, avoided all the
mistakes that are going to plague make until the end of time.

I don't know where pkgsrc stands these days, but changing generators to
ninja where possible (cmake -g Ninja for instance) yields huge benefits
in terms of parallelism for large software.

Sometimes you will run into dependency chains that need fixing and
upstreaming... the more projects looking into this the better.