Re: science category

* On 2017-04-19 at 07:18 BST, Jason Bacon wrote:

> I did a poll among XSEDE campus champions about a year ago and at that time
> about 80% of HPC clusters were running CentOS or a derivative such as
> Scientific Linux.  Most of the remaining clusters were running RHEL.
>
> I cited HPC and CentOS because pkgsrc serves an unmet need there.  However,
> many scientists who don't need HPC or commercial software (and are probably
> running Ubuntu now) will also warm up to pkgsrc as the scientific software
> collection grows.  It will simply make sense for them to use the same
> package manager as their collaborators who have to use RHEL derivatives.

Are they aware of the EL6 and EL7 binary packages that we provide?
They are updated daily from pkgsrc trunk so should always have the
latest software available:

  https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-linux/

If not, I'd appreciate getting the word out.  I advertised them on
some of the CentOS/Scientific lists a while ago but didn't get many
takers.

Cheers,