Re: Add c++11 to USE_LANGUAGES

On 14.04.2017 14:18, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 12:15:03PM +0200, Edgar Fuß wrote:
>>> My impression is that each compiler version has its own private C++ ABI,
>>> compared to C where there is a defined API and you can link code from
>>> multiple compilers.
>> If that is indeed the case, the only working scheme seems to be to wire down
>> the supported C++ (compiler) version in a mk.conf variable, build that version
>> as soon as anyone needs C++ (if it's not in base) and fail for any package
>> requiring a higher verson, no?
>
> Effectively, yes.
>
> Joerg

The upcoming LLVM linker might be locked with its corresponding LLVM
release. This will enforce us to new enough llvm+clang+lld+lldb in the
same version or go for bundling all of them and in the result link
several libraries with different versions of LLD.

An alternative approach is to have one bootstrapped compiler for pkgsrc,
it might solve some problems and create other ones for less popular
platform.